BackgroundTanka Journal has been publishing issues since 2014. Each issue features both new and established poets. We consider all forms of tanka.
It's still free to submit!Many journals charge fees for either online or offline submissions (or both). We all know journals use those funds to mail out contributor copies,
or otherwise generate income. More than 70% of journals today do not pay anything. These types of practices are understandable, but frustrating to writers.
Fortunately, at Tanka Journal general submissions are still free.
An Important Difference Between Tanka Journal and Many Others!When we accept a submission, it is published to the website instantly. The paperback issue is created after all submissions for an issue have been selected.
For this reason, we do not accept simultaneous submissions.
PaymentsAll journals have some financial strategy to stay afloat, and those decisions are often difficult trade-offs.
What are our trade-offs?
By submitting, you are acknowledging these terms.
1. By submitting, you are asserting your work is available to print and has not been previously printed elsewhere.
2. You grant permission for us to publish your submission instantly upon acceptance.
3. You may submit up to 6 times per issue. If your tanka is part of a sequence, note that in the comments.
4. Issues are freely available to read online. Paperbacks are available to purchase at our bookstore.
5. We DO offer cash payments (a token payment) to contributors (paid shortly after paperback publication).
6. You may withdraw any submission prior to acceptance by logging into the submission manager.
7. You affirm your submission is your own creation and no part of your submission is in the public domain.
We do not charge you to submit your work.
We do not charge a reading fee for general submissions.
We prefer you limit your submissions to 6 per issue.
We prefer constrained tanka using the (5/7/5/7/7) syllabic pattern but we do accept others.
Remember to separate your submissions.
Simultaneous submissions are no longer allowed. (Policy change as of 05/12/2017)
One token payment allowed per issue.
Token payments are currently $1.50 for everyone, and $10.00 for submissions marked as "Editor's Choice."
Cash payments are paid by PayPal to any address you designate.